Friday, March 07, 2008

Thanksgiving

I DO GIVE THANKS…

 

 

For Every Hill

 

For every hill I’ve had to climb,

For every stone that bruised my feet,

For all the blood and sweat and grime,

For blinding storms and burning heat

My heart sings but a grateful song --

These were the things that made me strong!

 

For all the heartaches and the tears,

For all the anguish and the pain,

For gloomy days and fruitless years,

And for the hopes that lived in vain,

I do give thanks, for now I know

These were the things that helped me grow!

 

‘Tis not the softer things of life

Which stimulate man’s will to strive;

But bleak adversity and strife

Do most to keep man’s will alive,

O’er rose-strewn paths the weaklings creep,

But brave hearts dare to climb the steep.

 

=============================

“He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him.” (Luke

17:16, NIV)

 

When Jesus healed ten lepers and only one returned

to say thank-you and give praise to God, he seemed

disappointed as he asked, “…Were not all ten cleansed?

Where are the other nine? Was no one found to return

and give praise to God except this foreigner?” Then he

said to him, “Rise and go; your faith has made you

well.” (17-19, NIV)

 

One of my constant prayers is that God will give me a

thankful heart, not just at Thanksgiving and Christmas,

but every day of the year.

 

No matter what trials I am going through, there are

always many things to be thankful for: Food, clothing,

shelter, friends and family, and for life itself… or to

put it this way:

 

    I love the gift of life, Dear God,

    with all its beauty everywhere:

    Blue skies, white fluffy clouds,

    green trees, rocky mountains,

    open meadows, the restless timeless sea,

    the black bird on my window sill…

    But most of all I love dear friends,

    and if you will, please give to me

    a greater love for you --

    my dearest friend of all.

                                       -- Dick Innes (C) 2001

 

Suggested prayer: “Dear God, please give me a thankful

heart and open my eyes so that I will constantly see the

many things you do for me every day and every hour.

Help me to see your beauty everywhere I look and to see

the endless blessings you so freely give to me. Thank

you, too, that YOU are God, and thank you most of all for

the love gift of your Son, the Lord Jesus Christ who gave

his life for my eternal salvation. Because you died for

me, please help me to always live for you. Gratefully, in

Jesus’ name. Amen.”

No comments: