Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Counsel

SEEK WISE COUNSEL

 

“Listen to wise advice; follow it closely, for it will do you good,

and you can pass it on to others: Trust in the Lord.”

(Proverbs 22:17-19, TLB)

 

“My wife is leaving me,” one man said to me, “what can I do?”

My gut response (which I kept to myself) was, “Why didn’t you

come to me five years sooner?”

 

I tried to assure this man that if he and his wife both genuinely

wanted to save their marriage there were no guarantees, but

with wise counsel, deep honesty, courage, hard work and God’s help,

they undoubtedly could.

 

One way to keep a marriage healthy is to see and treat problem

symptoms when they first appear. If these symptoms are the

fruit of a deeper root, which they often are, they won’t go away

of themselves. The longer we leave symptoms untreated,

the deeper their roots go and the stronger they become.

 

If there are things in your marriage or in other areas of your life

that bother you, it is wise to seek competent guidance from a

qualified counselor right away. Don’t put it off any longer.

Make that appointment you know you need to make -- today.

 

Suggested prayer: “Dear God, help me to determine if there are

problems in my relationship with my (husband, wife, significant other),

and please give me Your wisdom in understanding whether

these problems have deep roots that would need the guidance

of wise counsel for the relationship to be blessed of You. Thank You

for all that You do in this relationship. Gratefully, in Jesus’ name.

Amen.”

No comments: