Wednesday, March 05, 2008

PERSISTENCE

NEVER GIVE UP

 

“It is God himself, in his mercy, who has given us this wonderful

work [of telling his Good News to others], and so we never give up.”

(2 Corinthians 4:1, TLB)

 

Some time ago I read the following story about Sir Winston Churchill

in Our Daily Bread. Churchill attended grade school at Harrow

where he was in the lower third of his class and showed no

particular potential. After he graduated he went on to a university

and eventually became famous.

 

Near the end of his life, he was invited back to Harrow to address

the student body and was introduced as one of the greatest orators

of all time. The students were told to take plenty of notes.

 

When Sir Winston addressed the boys he said, “Young gentlemen,

never give up! Never give up! NEVER GIVE UP! Never! Never!

Never! NEVER!” That was his entire address. I’m certain that

none of those students ever forgot that advice.

 

Because of God’s promise to you and me: “Never will I leave you;

never will I forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5, NIV), we, too, can have

the confidence to never, never, never give up no matter what.

 

Suggested prayer: “Dear God, knowing that you are always with me,

please help me to be persistent in all that I do, trust my life and way

to you in every circumstance, and never, never, never give up.

Gratefully, in Jesus’ name. Amen.”

No comments: