Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Dependability

DO IT NOW

 

“Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.”

(Galatians 6:2, RSV)

 

“I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing

therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any

fellow-creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it,

for I shall not pass this way again.”

 

This timely advice is attributed to Stephen Grellet,

Franco-American Quaker (1773-1855).

 

You’ve undoubtedly heard the story about four people named

Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody. An important job

had to be done, and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry

about that, because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought

Anybody could do it and that Somebody would do it. But Nobody

realized that Everybody thought Somebody would do it. It ended up

that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody

could have done.

 

Suggested prayer: “Dear God, please help me to be dependable

and not look to others for what I need to do -- nor blame others

for what I fail to do. Help me always to be “as Christ” to the people

in my world and beyond and to do what you would do to help

where help is needed. Gratefully, in Jesus’ name. Amen.”

No comments: