Thursday, March 06, 2008

Intellectual Problems

INTELLECTUAL PROBLEMS

 

 “Choose you this day whom you will serve. But if serving the LORD

seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom

you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond

the river, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living.

But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”

(Joshua 24:15, NIV)

 

It has been said that many (not all) who have an intellectual problem

with believing in God have a moral problem. I’m confident that this

is true of many doubters because we basically believe what we want

and choose to believe. There’s a one liner that says: “It is choice,

not chance that determines our destiny.” It is also choice that

determines our beliefs.

 

People come up with all sorts of rationalizations why they don’t

believe in God. Some are reasonable but many are an excuse to do

as they please, for if we truly believe in God and want to follow

in the footsteps of Jesus, we know that we will need to make changes

in our lifestyle and strive to obey God’s Word.

 

The late Peter Marshall, former chaplain of the U.S. Senate,

suggested that our difficulty in believing God is not centered

around things we don’t understand, but rather in the things

we understand only too well. Most of us know what we need to

and should do, but just don’t want to do it. It is much easier

to question the existence of God and then do as we please.

 

Suggested prayer: “Dear God, if I have a hidden agenda regarding

my doubts, please help me to see this and be honest with myself

and with you and do what I need to do in order to resolve my doubts.

And where my doubts are sincere, please help me to be willing

to see the truth and have the courage to act accordingly.

Gratefully, in Jesus’ name. Amen.”

No comments: