Thursday, February 28, 2008

Marvels of Creation

MARVELS OF CREATION

 

“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work

of his hands.” (Psalm 19:1, NIV)

 

Before my wedding three weeks ago, Joy, my bride-to-be, asked me

if I liked surprises. I said, “Sure.” It was to do with our wedding ceremony.

We were married in a friend’s beautiful garden setting. Towards the end

of the ceremony we were interrupted by a stranger carrying a box.

I whispered to Joy, “Who’s that man? What’s he doing here?”

 

I was very startled.

 

However, I wasn’t startled for long. He reached into his box and took out

two perfectly white doves and placed one in both Joy and my hands.

We held them briefly then released them together. I was awe-struck

with their beauty -- as were most of the wedding guests! A few minutes later,

at the end of the ceremony, when we were walking down the garden aisle,

twelve more beautiful white doves were released. It was a thrilling experience.

 

This was my special surprise!

 

What was equally fascinating was to watch these doves all rise, circle above

to get their bearings and in no time were headed home.

 

How did they know their way? How did they ever get their bearings

and know the perfect direction to go?

 

The older I get and the more I see, the more I marvel at God’s creation.

As another has said, “I just don’t have enough faith to be an atheist!”

 

Suggested prayer, “Dear God, indeed the heavens and all creation declare your glory;

the skies proclaim the work of your hands. Day after day they pour forth speech;

night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice

is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.

Grant that everyone reading this message will ‘hear’ your voice in all of creation

and answer your call to follow you. Gratefully in Jesus’ name. Amen.”

No comments: