Friday, February 29, 2008

Hot Potato 2

TO BE OR NOT TO BE…

 

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own

understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make

your paths straight (or direct your paths).” (Proverbs 3:5-6, NIV)

 

“I can't understand why God gave me such a terrible, terrible husband,

Mable moaned pathetically.

 

As kindly as possible I asked, “Well, who chose your husband?”

 

“God did,” she insisted and in her mind was convinced that he did.

 

The reality is that Mable was attracted to and chose someone who

in many ways was a mirror or “meshing” image of herself. Until

she admits this and does something about it, she will either stay

miserable and filled with self-pity or marry another “terrible,

terrible husband!”

 

Blaming God for our goof-ups is a handy excuse to hang on to

if we don't want to face our issues, resolve our personal problems,

and grow up.

 

Unfortunately, far too many Christians have an unrealistic expectation

of what God is going to do about our getting married, whom me marry,

or whether we stay single. God allows the decision to us. We can be in

God's will either married or single. His will primarily is that we live

in harmony with his will.

 

True, God is sovereign but he isn't codependent. He gives us freedom

and a free will. He never violates that. If we want to marry, fine.

If we don't want to marry that is also fine. But God won't make our decisions

for us otherwise he would be keeping us over-dependent and immature.

 

What God has promised is wisdom and guidance and he will if we trust him.

What he wants for us is that we become healthy and whole for only to the degree

that we are made whole will our lifestyle, actions, attitudes, behavior, choices

and relationships be whole-some.

 

Suggested prayer: “Dear God, please help me to trust in you with all

my heart and lean not on my own understanding; but in all my ways

acknowledge you. And I thank you that when I do this, you have promised

to direct my paths. Gratefully in Jesus' name. Amen.”

No comments: