Thursday, February 28, 2008

Great Love

NO GREATER LOVE

 

"Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man

someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us

in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:7-8).

 

In "A Cup of Chicken Soup for the Soul" Kim Noone shares the following story:

One day a drill sergeant came out and threw a hand grenade into a group of

young soldiers. The men all ran away and took cover away from the grenade.

Then the drill sergeant told them that the grenade was not set to explode

and he just did it to see their reaction.

 

The next day a newly recruited soldier joined the group. The drill sergeant

told the other soldiers not to tell the new soldier what was going to happen.

As the drill sergeant came out and threw the grenade into the crowd of soldiers,

the new soldier, not knowing it wasn't going to explode, threw himself on top

of the grenade to prevent it from killing the other men. He was willing to die

for his fellow soldiers.

 

That year the young man was awarded the only medal for courage and bravery

that had not been won during battle…

 

Had I been that soldier I probably would have dived for cover to save myself.

 

And I know that I wouldn't be willing to die for a convicted criminal, let alone

a murderer. And yet, when I think of God's love, he was willing to die for the

most hardened sinner and for me!

 

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you for your great love in that while I was lost

and separated from you because of my sinfulness, you died on the cross in my place

to pay the ransom price for saving me. And, because you died for me, please help me

to live for you. Always. Gratefully in Jesus' name. Amen."

No comments: