Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Topped UP

TOPPED UP

(January 2002)

 

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me

and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can

do nothing.” (John 15:5, NIV)

 

For any readers who have happened to visit Southern

California and were there during the New Year, you would

probably be aware of and may have seen the incredible New

Year’s Day Rose Parade in Pasadena. Many, too, around the

world will see the parade today via their television set.

 

An amusing thing happened in one year’s parade when one

beautifully decorated float suddenly came to a stand-still.

It ran out of fuel!

 

The irony was that this float was entered by and represented

the Standard Oil Company -- one of the largest fuel companies

of North America. With all their vast oil and gasoline

resources they failed to make sure their own vehicle was

running on full.

 

I wonder how often we as Christians with all the vast

resources of God and heaven try to run on an empty love,

joy and peace tank when, if we truly trusted God and followed

his instructions for getting these needs met, we could be

certain to keep “topped up.”

 

I wonder how often we as Christians with all the vast

resources of God and heaven try to run on an empty

spiritual tank by neglecting to spend time with the Lord

in worship, praise and daily devotions.

 

Let us make sure each day that we do this so we will keep

“topped up” and have our love, joy and peace tank filled and

running over!

 

Suggested prayer: “Dear God, please help me to be faithful

all year in spending time with you every day in worship,

praise, your Word, and prayer; and walk in obedience to make

certain I am filled with your Spirit and have my life

“topped up” and overflowing with your love, joy and peace,

and spread your Son-shine wherever I go. Gratefully, in

Jesus’ name. Amen.”

No comments: