Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I'd Give My Life

I’D GIVE MY LIFE

 

“You see, at just the right time, when we were still

powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will

anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man

someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates

his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners,

Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:6–8, NIV)

 

In the October 2000 issue of Decision magazine, an anonymous

young man wrote in with the story of how he came to Christ.

Many years ago, this young man was caught in a downward

spiral of drugs and alcohol abuse. His older brother, Terry,

had once participated in this lifestyle, too, but Terry had

recently become a Christian. It had caused an immediate

change in his life. He shared his faith with anyone he came

across.

 

A few months after Terry’s conversion, the supermarket where

he worked was robbed. One of the robbers shot Terry in the

back. As Terry hung between life and death in the hospital,

the younger brother finally turned to God and began to pray.

He finally gave his life to Christ. He was able to tell

Terry of his decision just a few days before Terry’s death.

 

A few months later, this young man got a job at the same

supermarket where Terry had been shot. He began telling a

colleague about his faith in Christ. The young man remarked

that Terry had done the same thing. Then he added, “Your

brother said that he would give his life if you could come

to know the Lord Jesus.” 1

 

Suggested prayer, “Gracious God, how can I ever thank you

enough for the gift of your Son, Jesus, who gave his life on

the cross so that I might have all my sins forgiven and

spend forever in Heaven with you. And Jesus, because you

gave your life fully for me, please help me to live my life

fully for you and your Kingdom. Gratefully, in your name.

Amen.”

 

1 “My Brother’s Love,” Decision, October, 2000, p. 30.

No comments: