Monday, March 24, 2008

On Leadership and Consensus

I came across a quotation by Margaret Thatcher, while reading

a book on leadership, and here I quote:

 

“Consensus is the negation of leadership.”

 

Twofold meanings:

1.       Leaders, by right and virtue, cannot wait for the

“opportune” time – they have to decide right there

and then.

2.      A leader’s decision, once made, should no longer be

subjected to a consensus.

 

The first point simply mandates the need for leaders to act,

and immediately at that.

 

It is the second point that aptly describes Thatcher’s quotation.

 

Having recalled some incidents in the previous months,

I believe I understand what it means, and I myself have

factual events validating such paradox.

 

A paradox because the act itself was committed by a leader.

No comments: