Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Predators on the road

From Focus on the Family

Some years ago, my family and I visited the magnificent wild animal preserve known as the Serengeti in Tanzania. It had rained all day and we eventually came to a stretch of road that was almost impassable.

At that point, our 17-year-old son, Ryan, volunteered to help. “I’ll run ahead and look at the road,” he said, “and then I’ll wave to let you know which way to go.” Well, the guide who was with us said: “Mmmm, Ryan, I don’t think that’s a very good idea. You just don’t know what might be out there in the tall grass.”
Further on, we saw a huge male lion crouched in the grass off to one side.

I have thought about that experience many times in reference to today’s children. It is a tough time to grow up. Passage through adolescence can be a perilous journey because of the predators lurking in the grass.

Too many teenagers succumb to alcohol, drugs, suicide and violence. It is our responsibility as parents to stay close to them on the muddy road to adulthood.


From TODAY, Voices - Thursday, 02-Sep-2010
-----


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: