Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Teaching our children to write

St. Augustine writing, revising, and re-writin...Image via Wikipedia
By Dr James Dobson

Very few children today learn to write properly, whether in school or at home. But it’s a skill that they can learn if we take the time to teach them.

The early development of my own writing career, which now includes a dozen books or more, began when I was in elementary school. My parents encouraged me and helped me grow in this area. I remember writing a letter to a friend when I was nine years old, after which my mother sat down with me and suggested that we read it together. I started the letter, “Dear Tom, how are you? I am just fine.” My mum asked me if I thought that sounded a little boring. She said: “You haven’t said anything. You used a few words, but they were without meaning.” I never wrote that phrase again, although that is the typical way a child begins a letter. Looking back, I can see how, even at an early age, my mother was teaching me to write.

It’s not that difficult or time-consuming, to encourage or teach our children to write. One simple way is to ask a family member or relative to correspond with your child, and encourage them to write back. Then, when your child shows you his reply, sprinkle a few corrections, like my mother offered, with a generous portion of praise. And then entice him to do a little creative expression.

The ability to write and communicate well is one gift you can give your children that will last a lifetime.

From TODAY, Voices - Friday, 19-March-2010
-----

Blogged with the Flock Browser
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: