Friday, April 16, 2010

Saying 'I'm sorry'

Gale Force WindsImage by michaelgoodin via Flickr
By Dr James Dobson

Many people have a hard time saying they are sorry to anyone, let alone their children. Although it is difficult to do, apologising when we are wrong provides opportunities to teach valuable lessons to our sons and daughters.

I remember a time when our children were young and I was weighed down by the pressures that made me tired and irritable in the evenings. One night, I was especially grouchy and short-tempered with my 10-year-old daughter.

After going to bed I felt bad about the way I had treated her and I just felt like I needed to apologise to her. I did so before she left for school the next morning. My daughter put her arms around my neck and said it was okay.

Most children are very resilient and eager to reconcile. Asking them for forgiveness shows that you are human, with flaws and imperfections. It also creates an atmosphere wherein conflict and frustration can be resolved.

From TODAY, Voices - Thursday, 15-April-2010
-----

Blogged with the Flock Browser
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: