Friday, April 16, 2010

A night of grief

The famous Droeshout portrait of William Shake...Image via Wikipedia
By Dr James Dobson

William Shakespeare wrote:
“Grief fills the room of my absent child
Lies in his bed, walks up and down with me
Puts on his pretty looks, repeats his words.”

Let me tell you about my mother. My parents walked a rocky road in the early days of their marriage. But their relationship was soon cemented tight. And from that time until the day my mother died, she loved that man. It is impossible to describe how much she loved him. It was the kind of love for a husband that most men only dream about.

A few years after my father died, my mother went into the hospital. She was experiencing some symptoms. So they ran a barrage of tests, and finally two physicians sat down with her. They said: “Mrs Dobson, your problem is not a physical ailment. It is grief that is killing you, and you must find a way to release it.” But she never did. She couldn’t do it. She simply loved my father too deeply.

Grief for a lost family member is good and necessary. But it’s a process that must be worked through, in order to get to the greener pastures beyond. It would be well to remember the words: “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.”

From TODAY, Voices - Wednesday, 14-April-2010
-----

Blogged with the Flock Browser
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: