Tuesday, November 18, 2008

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF


From TODAY, Voices
WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 12, 2008

By Dr James Dobson

Take this scenario: You have two tennis players of equal skill and talent. Both are at the top of their game, yet one consistently comes out the winner. What makes the difference?

I’ve seen the dynamic at work, time and time again. In fact, I’ve lived it. I played tennis in secondary school, and my key rival in the neighbouring town was a boy named Saldania. I spent my entire senior year preparing for what I knew would be a showdown match. Then in the spring, I met him in the semi-finals of the district championship.

I won the first set 6-0 and was leading 5-3 in the second. All I needed to win the match was two points. Two lousy points. At that moment, I looked across the net and thought to myself, “This guy’s the top-rank ed player in the district. What am I doing?” My confidence wavered for just a moment, and that’s all it took to turn the tide. Saldania saw his chance and before I knew it, he had taken the match, and went on to win the championship.

What made the difference there? I clearly had the ability to come out on top, but I lacked the confidence to do it. Sportscasters call it “momentum”, but what it really boils down to is believing in yourself, regardless of the odds against you. It’s called “confidence”, and it holds the key to success or failure in life’s many challenges.

And by the way, if you’re out there, Saldania, I demand a rematch!

No comments: