Monday, September 15, 2008

CHILDREN ARE EXPENSIVE


From TODAY, Voices
Monday Sep tember 15, 2008

By Dr James Dobson

Considering how expensive and difficult it is to be a good parent, many people wonder these days why anyone would want to even have children. I’m reminded of a woman who boarded a Los Angeles bus a few years ago and sat in the seat behind me. Her hair was a mess and the black circles under her eyes revealed a state of utter exhaustion.

As she stumbled past me with seven rambunctious youngsters, I asked: “Do all those children belong to you? Or is this some kind of picnic?” She looked at me through squinted eyes and said: “They’re all mine and believe me, it’s no picnic.”

The woman is right. Parenthood is an assignment that demands everything we can give it. And to do the job right requires sacrifice and maybe even a few tears. And yet, nothing worth having comes cheap. Speaking as a father, there’s never been a greater moment in my life than when I gazed into the eyes of my newborn daughter and then, five years later, my son.

What could be more exciting than seeing those tiny human beings begin to blossom, grow, learn and love. And what reward can be more meaningful than having my little boy or girl climb onto my lap, hug my neck and whisper “I love you, Daddy”. Yes, children are expensive, but they’re certainly worth what they cost us.

No comments: