Friday, August 07, 2009

Value Your Marriage

From Jewish Art, edited by Grace Cohen Grossma...Image via Wikipedia

By Dr James Dobson

Love is a fragile thing. Like a plant, it must be watered and cultivated or it will wither and die.

It seems, some newly-married couples have the misguided notion that their love will continue to grow naturally through the years. But the truth is that love must be maintained and protected if it's going to survive. (Love can perish when a husband works seven days a week, or when spouses don't communicate regularly.)

The keen edge of a loving relationship may be dulled through the routine pressures of living. As I experienced during the early days of my own marriage when I was working full-time and trying to finish my doctorate. My wife was teaching in school and running our small home.

I remember the evening I realised what this busy life was doing to our relationship — we still loved each other, but it had been too long since we'd felt the spirit of warmth and closeness. My books were pushed aside that night and we took long walk. The following term I took fewer classes and postponed my academic goals to help preserve what I valued more highly.

Where does your marriage rank? Does it get the leftovers from your busy schedule or is it something of worth to be supported and replenished? Let there be no misunderstanding. If left unattended, your relationship could die a slow death, and no career goal is worth that price.

From TODAY, Voices – Monday, 03-Aug-2009

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: