Friday, September 05, 2008

LOVE’S PRICELESS GIFTS


From TODAY, Voices
Friday September 5, 2008

By Dr James Dobson

I received a copy of a letter recently written by an 80-year-old grandmother to the members of her family. This is what this quiet lady named Mom Keltner wrote on that day.

She said: “I hate having to rely on my children to do things for me that I could for myself a few years ago. The truth of the matter is that our roles are reversed now and I am your child needing you in a special way. I need your patience now when I don’t hear what you say the first time; so please don’t be annoyed. I need your patience with my slowness and my set ways. I want you to be tolerant with what the years have done to me physically. And please, be understanding about my personal care habits. I really can’t see when my dress is dirty or the floor needs cleaning. To sum up, time, patience, and understanding are the priceless gifts that I ask for.”

Mom Keltner expressed so beautifully what many elderly people wish they could tell their children.

With just the right combination of love and acceptance, those important feelings and ideas might find expression.

No comments: