Thursday, August 07, 2008

Churchill’s enduring legacy

From TODAY, Voices
Thursday August 7, 2008

FOCUS ON THE FAMILY
By Dr James Dobson

I confess that if I could spend one afternoon with any famous person who had ever lived during my lifetime, I’d spend it with Mr Winston Churchill.

Mr Churchill had a pitiful start in life. He was born premature, and was a weak and sickly boy with a speech impediment. He received virtually no affection from his parents, and he was at best, a mediocre student in school.

He had more failures than successes in his political career, but his persistence paid off: He eventually became Prime Minister of Britain. Up until then, the media had ridiculed him because of his opposition to Hitler.

What I admire most about Winston Churchill was his dogged determination to do what was right, against all odds. His first speech as Prime Minister to the House of Commons (May 10, 1940,) is legendary. “I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat ... You ask, what is our policy? I say it is to wage war by land, sea and air ...

“What is our aim? I can answer in one word. Victory ... victory however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival.” In time, Mr Churchill led England to that victory. And he went to his final rest in 1965.

I hope that Winston Churchill’s legacy will encourage you in the midst of your battles today. To victory!

No comments: