Friday, May 30, 2008

The Worth of a Human Being

From FOCUS ON THE FAMILY, Today, 30-May-2008 edition

 

The Worth of a Human Being

By Dr James Dobson

 

Once on a family ski trip some years ago, I climbed on the back

of a flatbed truck that shuttled skiers back up the mountain.

Among the 12 or 14 young people there that day was a girl

in her late teens. As she turned to look at me, I saw the

unmistakable look of mental retardation in her eyes.

She began muttering nonsensical phrases, especially the word

“whomever”.

 

Over and over, she repeated that word, “Whomever, whomever”

while staring off into space. I noticed a visible rejection by the others

on the truck. They were mostly young people and they looked

at each other and sneered as if to say, “Who’s the crazy person

we have with us?”

 

Just then, a large man moved in a little closer toward her,

and I realised he was her father. He wrapped his big, loving arms

around her and he said, “Yeah, babe. Whomever.”

 

You see, he’d seen the same reaction of the others, and this

was his way of saying, “It’s true. She’s retarded. We can’t hide that.

She’ll never write books, or become a professional. But I want

to tell you all something: she’s my girl and I love her and I’m not

ashamed of her.”

 

This simple affirmation spoke volumes about the worth, not only

of his daughter, but of every human being on earth. It was

a beautiful thing to behold.

No comments: