Thursday, April 17, 2008

Learning from Mistakes

From FOCUS ON THE FAMILY, Today, 17-Apr-2008 edition

 

Learning from Mistakes

By Dr James Dobson

 

Have you noticed that kids sometimes try to be helpful

but in doing so only make your life more complicated?

 

I heard a story about a mother who was sick in bed with the flu.

 

Her darling daughter wanted so much to be a good nurse.

She fluffed the pillows and brought a magazine for Mum to read,

and even showed up with a surprise cup of tea.

 

“Why, you're such a sweetheart,” the mother said. “I didn't know

you even knew how to make tea.”

 

“Oh, yes,” the little girl replied, “I learned by watching you.

I put the tea leaves in the pan and then I put in the water

and I boiled it, and then I strained it into a cup. But I couldn't find

the strainers so I used the fly swatter instead.”

 

“You what?!” the mother screamed.

 

And the little girl said, “Oh, don't worry, Mom, I didn't use

the new fly swatter, I used the old one!”

 

When kids try their hardest and they get it all wrong in spite of

themselves, parents often prevent their children from doing

something that could result in a mess or a mistake.

 

But I urge parents not to fall into that trap. Your child needs

to make mistakes because that’s how he learns.

No comments: